Taking into account the importance of the M’zab valley, the monuments and the historic sites found in this area and the neighboring areas, in 1970 ,the Algerian authorities decided to create an institution called Studies Office of restoration of the M’ZAB Valley. Its mission consists of:
* Select the historical value and archaeological of this inheritance.
* Sensitizing people about the need of maintaining this treasure.
* Making Studies and establishing a reference library of the sites and monuments.
* supervising and hosting students , researchers and visitors at these sites and monuments.
In order to allow a better management of the valley of the M’ZAB inheritance, the workshop was promoted into an institution : Office of the Studies for the protection and the promotion of the M’ZAB valley, under the terms of the legislative decree: 92/419 and 92/420 of November 17th, 1992. Thus, the Office was extended with varied powers in order to protect the inheritance of the Mzab valley and the surrounding areas, including:
* To ensure the implementation of the legislation related to the protected inheritance.
* To develop the use of the local architectural style like a source of inspiration and reference in the construction of new buildings and the urban configuration.
* Use of research in the field of integrated housing and local building materials.
* To create a database on the historic and natural sites, and promote scientific research as well as the exploitation of the archeological sites.
* To support and promote the traditional artisanal and hand craft activities.
* To express opinions and advices on the delivery of all new buildings or a new relay
* Update and to organize teaching and communication activities, through public awareness campaigns.